Saturday, May 26, 2012

Post 2- Different Format

Ever felt “Stuck in A Moment” that you just can’t get out of and there is no end in sight?  I’m experiencing one and it’s also one of the reasons for this blog.  I made some mistakes in my life ( who hasn’t) but one was a doozy and unfortunately, this mistake involves police, arrests, lawyers, the whole nine yards.

There are many reasons for this mistake.  Irresponsibility, selfish pride, disease, just to name a few. I have taken responsibility and I feel I have done all that has been asked of me up to this point in a timely and efficient manner but court dates are constantly rescheduled, promises by other parties are not kept resulting in a great amount of frustration and anger on my part.

Also, since this mistake involved all of the named above, it became a matter of public record which meant it was published in local newspapers and a local magazine that provides unending entertainment for some, including those I work with.  Living in a small town and working in a public place makes for some uncomfortable situations. Sometimes people make jokes that hurt more than they amuse, sometimes comments are made without thinking which also leads to more frustration, hurt, and embarrassment.  Of course, if these people were asked if they were Christian, they answer with a resounding “Of course I am! What would make you ask a question like that?”.  Just wondering is the reply, although I say nothing and walk away.  The ones that hurt the most though, are the ones who look at you and you can see that they do have sympathy for you in their heart.  You can tell that they want to say something, but don’t know what the words would be appropriate.  In these situations, I want to go give them a hug and say thank you, but I think it would make  it worse for them and I.  Everyday though, they are in my prayers, I ask God to open their hearts and to try to help all of us lead our lives as Jesus had taught us. 

Chapter 14 in Romans is one I am working on memorizing and would suggest others to do so as well, or at least keep it on a “read often” list.  Verses 17-19 say,

“God’s Kingdom isn’t about eating and drinking.  It is about pleasing God, about living in peace, and about  true happiness.  All this comes from the Holy Spirit.  If you serve Christ in this way, you will please God and be respected by people.  We should try to live at peace and help each other have a strong faith”.

  It also asks:

“What right do you  have to criticize someone else’s servants?  Only their Lord can decide if they are doing right, and the Lord will make sure that they do right.”

Then here is the one that gets me, I have so many questions about this passage.

  “Whether we live or die, it must be for God, rather than for ourselves.  Whether we live or die, it must be for the Lord.  Alive or dead, we still belong to the Lord.  This is because Christ died and rose to life, so that he would be the Lord of the dead and the living.  Why do you criticize other followers of the Lord? Why do you look down on them? The day is coming when God will judge all of us.”

Quite a bit of inspiration and also thought provoking words there. 

So my song for this day is by U2, “Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of”.  One verse says:

“I will not forsake, the colors you bring

But the nights you filled with fireworks

They left you with nothing.

I am still enchanted by the light you brought to me

I still listen through your ears, and through your eyes I can see”

Enchanted by the light brought by Jesus and our Lord above, the ears and eyes of the Holy Spirit.  And later the Spirit is saying that you are stuck in a moment that you can’t of and how you have to get yourself together or back to God.  The Spirit also tells that you are a fool to worry like you do, he knows its tough and that you can never get enough of what you don’t really need now-which would be YOUR idea or in this case MY idea of justice.

Then the song ends:

“And if the night runs over

And if the day won’t last

And if your way should falter

Along the stony pass

It’s just a moment

It’s just a moment

This time will pass”

  Reminding us that in God’s time- it’s just a blip, just a quick moment and it will pass.  Romans 13 8-14 tells us:

“Let love be your only debt!  If you love others, you have done all that the Law demands.  In the Law there are many commands, such as, ‘Be faithful in marriage.  Do not murder.  Do not steal.  Do not want what belongs to others.’  But all of these are summed up in the command that says ‘Love others as much as you love yourself’.  No one who loves others will harm them.  So love is all that the Law demands.  You know what sort of times we live in, and so you should live properly.  It is time to wake up.  You know that the day when we will be saved is nearer now than when we first put our faith in the Lord.  Night is almost over, and day will soon appear.  We must stop behaving as people do in the dark and be ready to live in the light.  So behave properly, as people do in the day.  Don’t go to wild parties or get drunk or be vulgar or indecent.  Don’t quarrel or be jealous.  Let the Lord Jesus Christ be as near to you as the clothes you wear.  Then you won’t try to satisfy your selfish desires.”

A very good friend, one that is very far away and I miss very much and everyone needs to have a friend like him (I hope I didn’t give away too much there) told me to read Romans recently so of course I started and now want to discuss every little aspect of it with him but he’s gone and I’m selfish for wanting him at my beck and call but know that he has a life, family, job and all that stuff.

But I wonder, what would it take to get everyone in our group to read this book.  How about everyone in our church, community, county, state, nation and world?  Would it just be word of mouth or would a drastic action need to be taken to educate and enlighten?

I’m not going to put my prayer in for this post because it is a very personal and private discussion that I have with God about this.  But I urge you to really dive into this book and see what you can find out about your own life and your own faith.

So-until next time dear reader, I leave you with the peace and happiness of the Lord.  Trust that His word is true, Believe that Jesus died on the cross and was raised from the dead and Know that the same power is inside of you!

No comments: